Fenor National School is situated in the Parish of Dunhill/ Fenor. The catchment area for the school is rural taking in Fenor, Annestown, Boatstrand and the wider Coastal area. There are records to show that the first school was built in 1894, where the car park is, opposite the Church. In 1946 a new school was built which housed 100 pupils in a two roomed building , our present learning support room with a canteen area.
In 1985 three new classrooms were built. The advice was to demolish the old school building, but the local community dry lined the building and it was used as a general purpose area for the school and parish.
The school has grown rapidly in recent years from a three teacher school to the present day. Twelve Teachers are employed including six SNA's. Since 1985, five new classrooms, a new hall, staff room and three Special Education rooms have been added to the school.
On Thursday 6th March 2014, Mr. O' Byrne, Principal, was delighted to welcome Ruairí Quinn, Minister for Education and Skills, and Monsignor Nicholas O' Mahony, P.P. Tramore and Diocesan Administrator, to officially open and bless the new extension.
We opened our first ASD (Autistic Spectrum Disorder) room for the school year 2019/2020. Since then, €1.1 million has also been allocated to the school to build a complete new ASD Unit attached to the school. The drawings are with the technical division of the Department of Education and Skills and we hope to go to planning in the very near future.
The Board of Management of the school wishes to acknowledge the generosity of the Local Curran family who have donated free of charge to the school, land that has facilitated the expansion of the school building as well as the various school yards and car park.
In recent years, we also have developed our Montessori Preschool and our After-school facilities. These facilities have been completely renovated and are widely used. The advantage these facilities have is they are under the school roof, and can, when needed, have access to school facilities. The Preschool has come a long way since it was first open in September 1992 with four pupils using the old Medical Room.